Zinnia - Canary Bird (Zinnia elegans) Yellow Canary Bird Yellow Zinnias Flower
Height 30 in
Striking and gorgeous, these Canary Yellow Zinnias are a fantastic addition to brighten up any garden - this variety produces colourful dahlia-like large ( 4 to 5 in across) blooms that sit atop sturdy stems that typically do not require staking. Excellent for cutting flower gardens, cottage gardens and borders. Attracts butterflies, bees, and other pollinators, and is a good source of nectar for all. Deer resistant and drought tolerant.
Although zinnias are low maintenance, pinching young plants out promotes a compact, bushier plant. Remove the foliage and don't be afraid to cut off side shoots on the mainstem just harvested; deadheading the spent flowers keeps zinnias blooming. Zinnias are a 'cut and come again' flower - when you cut the plant 'hard', it responds by sending out even more long, strong stems all season long!
- Full sun
- Rich organic well draining soil
- Direct sow zinnia seed after the last frost - as soil can be worked; cover seed very lightly and keep the soil moist until all seedlings appear. Thin out to 12 in apart.
- OR start seeds indoors 4 weeks prior to last frost, acclimatize sprouts for 10 to 15 days, and transplant seedlings after all threat of frost has passed
- Germinates best at 21 C (70 F)-reduce heat after 3 to 4 leaf stage to 15 C (60 F).
- Germinates: typically 7 to 10 days
- Spacing 30 cm (12 in) apart.
- Succession planting every week or so for several weeks extends the flowering period
- Seed Count: 10