Zinnia – Benary's Giant Lilac (Zinnia elegans) Lilac Purple Zinnia Cutting Flower
Height: 3 to 4 ft
‘Benary's Giant Lilac’ is one of the largest varieties of zinnias available and features beautiful and huge ( 4 to 5 in) dahlia-like blooms of double flowers. Blooms first begin as a vivid lilac and over time the outer petals fade to a subdued pale coloured lavender for a wonderfully soft effect. Plants grow to have long, strong stems and offer great disease resistance.
- Full sun
- Zinnias do not respond well to transplanting; recommend direct sow outdoors after the last frost has passed.
- If you want to try starting some indoors in coir pots with well draining soil about 6 to 8 weeks before planting out ensure that a soil temperature of 21-26°C (70-80°F) is maintained.
- Seeds should germinate in 5-24 days. Best to just cover Zinnia seeds lightly; final spacing of 25-30cm (10-12″) between plants.
- Ideal cutting flower as it has a very long vase life.
- Attracts honey, bumble and solitary bees
- Matures in 75 to 90 days
- Harvest: Grab the stem about 8 in. below the flower and gently shake. If the stem is droopy or bends much at all, it is not quite ready; if the stem is stiff and remains upright, it is ready to harvest.
- Cut flowers: If flower preservative is added to the water, zinnias should last 7-10 days in the vase.
- Seed Count: 10