Tomato - Azoychka (Lycopersicon lycopersicum) Azochka Organic Russian Beefsteak Heirloom Tomatoes Vegetable
This tomato variety, Azoychka, is a highly productive and hardy Russian heirloom which produces an abundant crop of up to 50 tomatoes per plant. The fruits average 3 inches and are slightly flattened, meaty, yellowish to orange in colour. This yellow beefsteak comes on strong in those seasons when various other tomatoes struggle to ripen. In addition to its earliness and productivity, its impressive delicious flavour is much better than other yellow tomatoes, and offers a slightly acidic and fruity tang.
It is interesting to note that the original spelling of Azoychka was Azochka, without the 'y' which is a nickname for an Arabic female name, 'Aza', meaning comfort! Azoychka tomato plants will grow up to 4 ft tall and need to be spaced about 24 to 36 inches apart. Plants produce between 40 to 50 delicious fruits per plant which makes this an excellent addition to any kitchen garden, and will require a trellis or support of some kind.
- Full Sun
- Soil: well draining fertile sandy or loamy
- Start seeds indoors 6 to 8 weeks before last frost. Sow 1/4 in deep and keep soil warm. Transplant into 1 in cells or 2 in pots at 1 to 2 leaf stage. NOTE: If the plants get leggy due to lack of light, when you transplant them out, bury more of the plant stem. It will not affect the growth and the plant will produce roots along the buried stem.
- Germinates 6 to 14 days
- Spacing: 24 to 36 in apart.
- Staking tomatoes (indeterminate) should be transplanted into 3 to 4 inch pots.
- Harden off the plants for 4 to 5 days after risk of frost has passed, then transplant outdoors.
- Maturity 65 to 70 days
- Harvest: Collect seeds from ripe fruit by squeezing into a jar and add 25% more water. Wait a few days for mold to form. When seeds sink and gel-sac is gone, stir, add water, then decant and rinse to clean. Dry thoroughly. Tomatoes are mostly self-pollinating; isolation is not usually needed for seeds to be true to type.
- Seed Count: 10