Martha Washington Asparagus (Asparagus officinalis 'Martha Washington') - Organic - Non-GMO
Martha Washington asparagus is a popular variety known for its tender and delicious spears. Here's some information on growing and caring for Martha Washington asparagus:
- Plant Type: Perennial
- Growth Cycle: Perennial
- Days to Maturity: 2 years from planting crowns
Martha Washington asparagus is a classic asparagus variety valued for its thick, succulent spears and excellent flavor. It's a perennial plant that can provide a bountiful harvest for many years if properly cared for.
- Location: Choose a sunny location in your garden with well-drained soil. Asparagus prefers full sun to thrive.
- Soil: Ensure your soil is rich in organic matter and has good drainage. Asparagus prefers slightly acidic to neutral soil with a pH level between 6.0 and 7.0.
- Planting: Plant asparagus crowns in early spring, as soon as the soil can be worked. Dig trenches about 8-10 inches deep and 12-18 inches wide. Place the crowns 18-24 inches apart within the trench, covering them with 2 inches of soil initially.
- Spacing: Allow 4-5 feet between rows to provide ample space for the plants to spread.
- Watering: Keep the soil consistently moist, especially during the first growing season. Asparagus plants need regular watering.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch to help retain soil moisture and suppress weeds.
- Fertilizing: Fertilize with a balanced fertilizer in early spring before new growth appears and again after the harvest season.
- Harvesting: Do not harvest asparagus spears during the first year to allow the plants to establish their root systems. In the second year, harvest spears when they are 6-8 inches tall by snapping them off at ground level.
- Maintenance: After the growing season, cut back the dead foliage and mulch around the plants to protect them during winter.
- Seed Count: 10
Martha Washington asparagus is a delightful addition to your garden, providing a perennial source of fresh and flavorful spears for years to come. Enjoy the taste of homegrown asparagus with this reliable variety.