Sunflower - Skyscraper (Helianthus annuus) Sky Scraper Giant Non GMO and Organic Sunflowers Flower
Height 12 ft
Highly Impressive! ‘Skyscraper’ Sunflower is a cultivar of Helianthus annuus known for its tall height and masses of bright flowers. One of the larger sunflower varieties - grows up to 12 ft tall and bears heavy yields of bright yellow flowers that are up to 14 in across, and sports fabulous dark green foliage.
Skyscrapers also produce the largest edible and tasty sunflower seeds! Seed hull colors range from bright white with gray stripes to light and dark grays. These tall and large plants benefit from staking and grow well beside a wall or fence line.
- Full sun
While soaking sunflower seeds before planting isn't strictly necessary, it can enhance germination rates. Soaking seeds for 4-12 hours in water can soften the seed coat, making it easier for the emerging sprout to break through. This process can potentially speed up germination and promote uniform growth.
If you choose to soak sunflower seeds:
1. **Use room temperature water:** Avoid hot or cold water; lukewarm water is suitable.
2. **Limit soaking time:** 4-12 hours is generally sufficient; excessively long soaking may lead to waterlogged seeds.
After soaking, plant the seeds in well-draining soil at the recommended depth. Keep the soil consistently moist until seedlings emerge. Monitoring environmental conditions, such as temperature and moisture, is crucial for successful germination.
- Direct sow seeds, make a small indentation in the soil with your finger. Place 2-3 seeds in the indentation and cover with soil. The seeds should be about 1/2 in deep. If you don’t have many seeds, just put one seed in each hole. Sunflowers can be planted as close as 18 in apart, but you may want to leave several feet between each plant.
- Can be sown as late as 100 days before last frost.
- OR start seeds indoors 3-4 weeks before the last frost; transplant outdoors when seedlings are strong enough to handle and all risk of frost have passed
- water well and keep the soil moist until the seeds germinate.
- Spacing: 18-24 in apart.
- Germinates in 7-10 days
- Matures 70-75 days after planting.
- plants may need to be topped off, or pinched out, to encourage branching and prevent the plant from becoming too top heavy. To do this, simply snip off the growing tip of the plant when it is about 18 in tall.
- Soak seeds for 24 hours before planting.
- Seed Count: 15