Sunflower - Red Wave (Helianthus annus) Compact Red Sunflowers Bouquet Cutting Flower
Height 3 to 4 ft
Red Wave sunflowers add drama to any garden, border or container. This variety produces slender, strong, and branching stems hold multiple ruffled, velvety red flowers with dark brown centres. Compared to other sunflower varieties, these plants are compact and more colourful, and the flowers are a bit smaller. Use as a contrasting flower at the front of borders or dot it along a walkway.
Great for containers and accents. Red Wave sunflowers branch early and often and the pollen-free flowers are outstanding additions to cut flower bouquets.
- Full Sun
- Soil: moist and moderately fertile will produce the best flower heads
- Direct sow into prepared seed beds 1/2 in deep, 3 in. apart, and thin to 6 to 9 in. apart.
- OR start indoors; sow seeds in 2 in pots or cell packs 2 to 3 weeks before the last frost; transplant outdoors after all risk of frost has passed and the seedlings are strong enough to handle.
- Germinates 7 to 10 days
- Spacing: 12 to 15 in apart.
- Blooms attract bees, birds and butterflies.
- Maturity 11 to 18 weeks
- Soak seeds for 24 hours before planting.
- Seed Count: 15