Sunflower – (Helianthus annuus)
Height: 3-10 feet
Familiar large bright yellow sunflowers are up to 30 cm across. Valued for its highly nutritious seeds eaten roasted or raw. Source of an excellent quality cooking oil.
This is a large seeded variety and a great producer. Excellent as stand alone plants or add to a cottage garden, or borders. Sunflower petals make awesome garnishes, and they can be used in salads! Known for their unique bittersweet taste, they can be used as a compliment to sweeter flavors in your dish.
- Direct sow seeds outdoors 5mm - 1cm (¼ - ½ in) deep; leave lots of room at 1m (3ft) between plants, or start indoors in a 3 - 4 in pot, with well draining soil, three seeds per pot. Indoor germination usually happens in 6 to 10 days.
- You can enjoy continuous blooms through summer by planting seeds every couple of weeks.
- When the back of the flower head turns yellow, it is ready to be cut from the plant.
- Sunflowers planted close to rows of corn are said to increase yields.
- Attracts bees and birds
- Soak seeds for 24 hours before planting.
- Seed Count: 1 gr