Succulent - Hens & Chickens Mix (Sempervivum tectorum)
Height: 2 in to 4 in
Hens & Chicks are an ideal choice for hot and dry gardens, as well as container growth in areas up to zone 5. This iconic succulent creates compact, colourful rosettes, which spread easily through offshoots to form a lively display. Varieties in the blend range from gray-green to magenta-mahogany, and the blooms can be either upright or pendant, in yellow to pink shades.
To cultivate Hens & Chicks indoors, plant in a combination of two-thirds soilless medium and one-third gravel, and keep the top layer of soil covered in a thin coating of gravel to preserve moisture.
- Full Sun
- Soil: dry/sand.
- Soak in lukewarm water for a few days, changing the water daily.
- Mix the soaked seeds with moist sand and store in the refrigerator for 60 days before planting. Keep the soil lightly moist until germination.
- OR stratify by placing in soil in the freezer or outdoor cold for 4 to 6 weeks.
- After the completion of these steps, plant your seeds into a moist, well-draining seed starting mix and cover. Do not plant deeply - 1/8 in.
- Spacing: 1 in apart in pots until they are 1 year old; prop up seedling with bits of pumice and keep in same pot for one year. Transplant into single larger pots after one year.
- OR Direct sow in late fall, pressing them into the surface of the soil.
- Germination: 41 days
- Maturity 50 to 55 days
- Harvest: Seeds form in the blooms of the cactus. Remove flowers as they fade and place these in a small paper bag. You’ll find the seeds when the flowers have totally dried up. Keep in a cool dark place or in the fridge until ready to use.
- Seed Count: 25