Squash - Yellow Crookneck ( Curcubita pepo) Summer Squash Organic Heirloom Vegetable
One of the most delectable Summer Squashes! This variety is an early variety squash with a mild, sweet flavor. Tender, yellow, swan-necked fruits protect the creamy flesh beneath. Plants bear delicious butter yellow tender fruits which are easy to grow on a bush habit just 2 feet tall and 3-4 feet wide. Easy to cultivate and quite prolific when regularly harvested at 5 to 6 inches long.
Can be steamed, eaten raw, boiled, baked and used in a great variety of recipes.
- Approximately 45 days to maturity.
- Full sun; protected from strong winds
- The soil should be well drained and rich in humus, the more the better.
- For an early start (late Mar) place a single seed side ways 1/2 in deep in seed compost in a 3 inch pot.
- The critical part is temperature, these need at least 65F continuous soil temperature (preferably more to maximize germination rates) until germinated.
- Keep the soil moist – water copiously around the plants, not over them.
- Keep weed free to allow air circulation.
- Once the plants start to fruit, feed every 14 days with a tomato type fertilizer,
- these are greedy plants.
- Harvest at 5" - 6" long
- Seed Count: 20