Carrot -Solar Yellow (Daucus carota var. sativus) Open-Pollinated Carrots Non GMO Heirloom Vegetable
Classic carrot shape! But the roots are a beautiful golden shade of yellow, and grow to be up to six in long with tapered ends. Solar Yellow carrots have a very tender texture with a sweet taste. Plants require sandy rich soil with no rocks or obstacles so that the roots can grow directly down and not fork.
Ready to harvest between 65 and 80 days. These yellow carrots are sweet and tender, excellent when roasted. Yellow carrots are slightly sweeter than their orange carrot cousins.
- Full sun
- Well draining soil free of rocks
- Start seeds indoors if you have a short growing period; use peat free bio-degradable pots so as to not disturb roots as carrots typically do not transplant very well, recommended to be directly sown.
- Sow 10-12 seeds every 10 cm; thinning seedlings: 2-5 cm apart
- OR direct Sow 2 to 4 weeks before the last spring frost until midsummer or 90 days before the first fall frost.
- Planting Depth: 1 cm
- Row Spacing: 45-60 cm
- Germinates in 7-21 days; Optimal Soil Temperature: 22-28°C
- Keep soil moist so it doesn't crust before the seedlings emerge.
- Harvest: anytime after they reach the desired size. Sow every 3 weeks for a continuous supply.
- Storage: cover unwashed carrots with sand and keep them in a dark, cool, well-ventilated area for up to 6 months.
- Seed Count: 1/2 gr