Lettuce - Romaine - Red Of Winter ((Lactuca sativa L. var. longifolia)) Cos Lettuces Non GMO & Organic Rouge d'Hiver Heirloom Vegetable
Great romaine lettuce variety; known as Rouge d'Hiver or Red of Winter. This variety has a mix of reddish brown, flat and smooth leaves with green veins that form a distinctively loose romaine lettuce head.
- Good tolerance to cold
- Heirloom variety ( circa 1885) that is hardy, highly productive and slow to bolt
- Superb flavour: taste is slightly bitter, but delicious; inner leaves are lighter in color and milder in flavor.
- Direct sow: seeds germinate at low soil temperatures (40°F), but poorly above 75°F. Sow seeds 2-3″ apart, rows 12–18″ apart. Cover seed lightly, about 1/8″, and firm soil gently. Thin iceberg and romaine lettuce to one plant every 10–12″, other types 8–10″ for full size heads or 6″ for mini heads.
- OR start seeds indoors 4 weeks prior to the last frost date and transplant seedling outdoors after all risk of frost has passed and the soil temperature is near 70°F (21°C)
- Matures in 60 days
- Successive plantings every 2 weeks will give you plenty of salad greens throughout the season.
- Seed Count: 1 gr