Red Ginger Lily - Red Himalayan Ginger (Hedychium coronarium) Open Pollinated Tropical Flower
Height: 3 to 8 ft tall
Hedychium Rubrum, commonly known as Red Ginger Lily (Hedychium coronarium), is a stunning perennial plant renowned for its superb lance leaved banana palm-like foliage having purplish red undersides on thick stems is a striking backdrop for its large vibrant orange red inflorescences that are composed of numerous individual blossoms. This botanical gem thrives in warm and humid climates, and adds an exotic elegance to gardens and landscapes. Expect the stunning red inflorescences to bloom in late summer to early fall. Special Note: Hedychium Rubrum is a rhizomatous plant that spreads gradually, forming clumps over time.
Native to Southeast Asia. Needs full sun to light shade, but needs to be sheltered for flowering. Ginger lily is a deciduous perennial that dies back to the ground in the winter in Zones 8 to 10. The plant is a fast-growing perennial that exhibits a clumping growth habit.If you live in father North in Canada, you'll need to grow ginger lily as a houseplant and bring it indoors for the winter. Red Ginger is fairly hardy, so in most cases they survive a typical winter with just a topping of mulch. Hedychiums possess chunky stems that typically support themselves, so there's little need for staking.
- Full to partial sun
- Well-draining, fertile soil with organic matter
- Start seeds indoors 6 to 8 weeks before the last frost. Plant them 1 in deep in warm soil.
- Transplant into larger containers when they reach 1 to 2 leaf stages. If the plants become leggy due to insufficient light, bury more of the stem during transplanting; it won't hinder growth and may encourage additional root development.
- Germination: typically occurs within 7 to 14 days.
- Spacing: 24 to 36 in apart.
- Seed Count: 5
The allure of Red Ginger Lily lies not only in its remarkable appearance but also in its ability to attract pollinators, such as butterflies and hummingbirds, making it a valuable addition to any garden or tropical-themed landscape. With proper care and attention, you can enjoy the captivating beauty of Hedychium Rubrum year after year.