Foxglove – Purple (Digitalis purpurea) Purple Open Pollinated Foxgloves Flower
Height: 1.2 M
Gorgeous and striking addition to borders and perfect for cut flower gardens! Horizontally held freckled purple-fuschia and white bell shaped flowers are sprayed evenly around each spike. And if you look closely, bumble bees will curl up and sleep in the blooms!
- Great for cottage gardens and cut flowers
- Direct seed in June; blooms in the second summer after it is seeded, or start indoors 6 weeks before last frost. Transplant seedlings out after risk of frost has passed and allow for 24 inches spacing. Staking required.
- Use at the back of mixed borders
- Prefers a rich, well-drained soil
- Sun to part shade
- Does not like wet soil
- Deadheading will encourage re-blooms, and restrain it from spreading its seed and popping up as a lovely but very unwelcome guest in pastures and hayfields.
- Harvest and collect the seeds; you will likely not need to purchase more!
- Attracts butterflies and hummingbirds from early to mid-summer.
- Seed Count: 100