Leek - Varna (Allium ampeloprasum var. porrum) Non GMO & Organic Varna Leeks Heirloom Vegetable
This is the ultimate summer leek!
Varna is an organic leek variety that is bred for its larger size and excellent flavor. It grows so quickly that it can be harvested at the green onion stage for gourmet baby leeks when planted close together.
- Full Sun
- cool season
- easy growing but longer and will require starting indoors and transplanting when all risk of frost has passed
- starting seeds indoors: plant seeds 1/4 in deep and water in from bottom or mist. Transplant when all risk of frost has passed and seedlings reach 8 in. plant outdoors at depth of soil plug grown in; other method is to make a 6 inch hole or trench and lay seedlings in and let rain fill earth around them
- spacing: 8 in apart all around
- Bulgarian type leek, grows to full size of 45 cm (18″) tall.
- Very flavorful and quite thick.
- Dig and harvest at any size
- If leaving for longer to harvest, in the fall mulch around the base of the leeks as high up the stems as possible. cover with blanket or fleece if forecast for -10 degrees (14 degrees) or less
- Dark green leaves are upright and rigid and this variety has a good tolerance to leaf diseases.
- Matures in 60-80 days.
- Seed count: 1/2 gr