Kale - Scarlet (Brassica oleracea var. palmifolia) Scarlet Curled Kale Organic Heirloom Vegetable
Height 2-3 ft
Scarlet Kale is a highly ornamental open-pollinated variety with interesting hcurled deep red leaves. The dark red color is blended with a blue-green background towards the center of the leaf; this red color will intensify during cooler weather.
Scarlet kale is extremely nutritious and is very rich in vitamins A, C, and K along with beta-carotene.
Scarlet has great flavour (either as baby leaf or as mature kale), and the flavour also improves after a frost. Plants produce lots of delicious frilly leaves and may overwinter in warmer climates. Easy to clean and the leaves hold up well to the summer heat;. toss leaves in the freezer for about ten minutes prior to using.
- Full or part sun
- well draining soil
- Biennials flower and set seed in the second year. Cool season crop
- Harvest the leaves from the bottom of the plants
- Kale can be direct seeded 1 -2 weeks before last spring frost or 10-12 weeks before first fall frost
- For mature plants, direct sow from March to June
- OR sow indoors 6 weeks before the last frost and transplant seedlings outdoors after risk of frost has passed
- Sprouts in 6-9 Days.
- Ensure to water well until established and in hot weather
- Harvest 30 days from sowing during summer and up to 60 days during winter months.
- can be grown in containers
- Seed Count: 25