Kale - Red Russian Winter (Brassica oleracea var. acephala) Ragged Jack Winter Kale Open Pollinated Vegetable
Height 2-3 feet
Excellent variety of kale also known as Ragged Jack or Sweet Red. This variety is flatter than other varieties and has jagged edges - its leaves are the most tender of all varieties and the tips are especially good raw (can be eaten raw or cooked) great for salads. Good leaf producer; edible seeds are dark red and delicious!
- purple colour is enriched after first frost
- only harvest the outer leaves - this allows the plant to continue producing
- Direct seed outdoors when all risk of frost has passed. Plant seed 1/4 in deep, 6 seeds per row ft allowing 18-24 in between rows. As
- Or start indoors 6-8 weeks prior to last frost. Harden off over 1 week; transplant seedlings outside 8-12 in appart with 18-24 inches between rows.
- matures in 50-80 days
- prior to eating throw Kale into the freezer for 5 minutes to crisp it up
- store kale in a layer of paper towels in a ziploc baggie - keeps up to a week
- Seed Count: 1gr