Kale - Lacinato Black Magic Kale (Brassica oleracea var. palmifolia) Cavolo Nero Italian Kale Dinosaur Kale Black Tuscan Kale Organic Heirloom Vegetable
Height 2-3 ft
Black Magic is known by many names - 'Black Cabbage', Dinosaur kale, Italian or Tuscan Kale, Lacinato Kale and by any name, it is a nutritional powerhouse! The leaves are 18 in long, slender, bumpy or puckered, and such a dark green that they appear black and resemble straps. This appearance is often referred to as “savoyed".
Black Magic is a cultivated heirloom variety related to the mustard or Brassicaceae family. An extremely ornamental plant for any garden, raised bed or container.
- Plants have an upright habit and typically grow 2 -3 feet tall and the leaves can grow up to 2 feet long by 4 in wide.
- Plants take on a palm tree appearance as they grow which is why they are referred to as palm tree kale as well
- Compared to other kale this variety is extremely ornamental, easy to clean and the leaves hold up well to the summer heat; best variety to grow in colder climates. Biennials flower and set seed in the second year. Cool season crop
- Harvest the leaves from the bottom of the plants
- Kale can be direct seeded 1 -2 weeks before last spring frost or 10-12 weeks before first fall frost
- OR sow indoors 6 weeks before the last frost and transplant seedlings outdoors after risk of frost has passed
- water well until established and in hot weather
- can be grown in containers
- Full or Part Sun
- well draining soil
- Seed count: 1 gr