Sunflower - Giant Sunflower (Helianthus Annuus) Mongolian Giant Heirloom Sunflowers
Height: 14 feet
Absolutely stunning! Massive sunflower soars as high as 14ft (4.3m), topped by massive flower heads 16-18in (40-45cm) across.
- Large seeds about 1.5in (4cm) long and are edible just like "normal" sunflowers.
- Seeds can be started indoors 3 to 4 weeks before last spring frost; when seedlings are 2 to 3 inches high, thin to individual pots with well draining soil and steadily harden off before planting out after all danger of frost has passed, or direct-sow seeds outside after all danger of frost has passed to a depth of 1/4 inch.
- Can be sown as late as 100 days before last frost.
- These giants will require staking / support in all but the most sheltered locations; plant requires 24-36 inches apart
- Germination: 68F-86F; 14-21 days
- Full Sun
- Attracts many pollinators; butterflies, bugs, beetles, ladybugs, spiders, bees, butterflies, moths and aphids as these are tall and brightly coloured for easy visibility from a distance; produce abundant sources of both pollen and nectar and the broad, flat surfaces make it easy for winged insects to land on them.
- Soak seeds for 24 hours before planting.
- Seed Count: 20