Foxglove - Yellow (Digitalis lutea) Yellow Open Pollinated Foxgloves Flower
Height: 80 cm /30 in
Gorgeous! And the bees absolutely love these; if you look closely bumble bees actually cozy up and sleep inside the large bell shaped flowers that are positioned evenly around each tall spike! Perfect for a border, cutting flower garden, and the quintessential cottage garden. And they reseed themselves quite readily, or you can harvest your own seeds and never have to buy again!
This plant dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring. The 2 cm yellow, trumpet-shaped flowers that appear on the upright flower spikes from early summer, add vertical movement to the planting scheme and are the perfect magnet to attract bees! This variety is a rarely offered species.
- Sun to part/semi shade
- Prefers rich, well-draining soil
- Direct seed in June - scatter seeds and do not cover; blooms in the second summer
- OR start indoors 8 to 10 weeks before the last frost; do not cover seeds with soil as they need light to germinate. Transplant seedlings after all risk of frost has passed.
- Spacing: 24 in apart. Staking required.
- Use at the back of mixed borders
- Deadheading will encourage re-blooms, and restrain it from spreading its seed and popping up where you dont want them.
- Attracts butterflies and hummingbirds from early to mid-summer.
- Seed Count: 50