Crocosmia (Crocosmia aurea) Montbretia Copper Tips Falling Stars Flower
Height 3-4 ft
This plant is awesome! Crocosmia, formerly known as Montbretia, is a small genus of perennial flowering plants in the iris family Iridaceae. Crocosmia, derived from the latin name meaning saffron coloured, is native to eastern Africa ranging from South Africa to Sudan.
- Crocosmia has a range of colours such as bright reds, yellow and or orange with slender pleated leaves that make the best sounds when its windy or when you brush by them. Excellent for the back of borders.
- start seeds indoors and transplant outdoors after risk of frost has passed.
- Place a 2 inch layer of seed starting mix into a tray and plant seeds 1/4 in deep; mist and provide further moisture without disturbing seeds. Place in indirect but bright light and keep soil moist. Seeds germinate within 2-3 weeks. Transplant seedlings when they have 4-6 sets of true leaves.
- Keep watered after transplanting. Mulch around bases to conserve moisture.
- Fertilize with water soluble fertilizer for flowering perennials. repeat in july when blooming.
- mulch for overwintering in late fall
- full sun
- well draining soil
- allow 1 ft apart
- not difficult to grow from seed and harvesting your own seeds means you wont have to buy them again.
- Harvest the seeds when the seed pods turn brown and have a papery texture. The seeds inside should be dry and brittle. Separate the chaff from the seeds and place in a brown paper bag. Store in a cool dry place until you are ready to grow.
- reseeds itself
- Seed Count: 1 gr