Chive - Garlic Chive (Allium tuerosum) Garlic Chives Open Pollinated non GMO Vegetable Herb
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Chive - Garlic (Allium tuerosum) Garlic Chives Open Pollinated non GMO Herb
Height 20 in
Also known as Chinese chives and Chinese leek – this variety looks similar to common chives. Native to southeastern Asia. This perennial, clump-forming herb is a member of the onion family.
- Unlike onions and other types of garlic, the fibrous bulbs of garlic chives are not edible. All parts of the plant emit a strong, onion like scent when cut or crushed, while the flower scent is similar to those of violets
- Grown for its edible leaves and flowers, the gray-green leaves grow up to 12 inches long and flowers bloom on sturdy stems just above the foliage.
- Different from the hollow onion chive leaves, the leaves of garlic chives are flat and grow like grass. Attracting butterflies, the tiny, star-shaped, creamy white flowers bloom with striped tepals in loose clusters from late summer through fall.
- Some gardeners report that mature plants can reach up to 3 feet tall as they are very easy to grow and care for.
- Direct sow after all risk of frost has passed.
- OR start indoors 4 weeks prior to last frost; sow seeds 1/4 in deep in free draining soil; keep soil moist until germination. Transplant when soil warms up and all risk of frost has passed.
- Full Sun
- Seed Count: 50