Chicory - Italian - Palla Rossa Radicchio (Cichorium intybus) Radicchio Chicory Palla Rossa Non GMO & Organic Heirloom Vegetable
This is an old world chicory, very similar to cabbage. This is an heirloom perennial leaf vegetable; this italian variety has a firm and round dark red and white head. Prefers moisture-retentive soil with plenty of compost dug in; mulch when mature to keep moisture in and weeds at bay. Enjoy raw or cooked.
- Prefers full sun
- Tolerates frost but is injured by hard freezes.
- Drench with an organic liquid plant food when heads begin to form.
- Single Plants: 9" (25cm) each way (minimum)
- Rows: 7" (20cm) with 11" (30cm) row gap (minimum)
- Start seeds indoors about 3 -4 weeks prior to last frost; sow 1/4 in deep and transplant after risk of frost has passed.
- Space: allow 12-18 in apart.
- OR Direct sow outdoors as soon as the soil can be worked in early spring or early fall 1/4 in deep, thinning to 12 in apart, in rows 12 in apart.
- Radicchio grows best when temperatures are cool.
- In early winter, plants can be lifted and grown indoors during winter.
- Bitter flavor is often due to hot weather.
- you can regrow the bottom inch or two of radicchio heads
- Seed Count: 1 gr