Carrot - Autumn King (Daucus carota subsp. Sativus) Flakkee Sweet Carrots Organic Non GMO Heirloom Vegetable
Height 16 in
The Autumn King/Flakkee carrot is a sweet breed that grows up to 2 ½ in wide and 12 in long with tops that can reach 16 in tall. It is tolerant to the cold, so it can be harvested even into winter.
Plant Autumn King/Flakkee carrot seeds ¼"in into rich soil with no stones. Beware of weeds in the area, as their roots may interfere with the growth of carrot roots. Seeds can be sown into July, and harvested from August all the way until December. Roots may need to be dug for because of their great thickness as well as length. After harvest, roots should be stored without their stems, and should remain crisp much after harvest. These carrots are sweet and fantastic when roasted.
- Start seeds indoors if you have a short growing period; use peat free bio-degradable pots so as to not disturb roots as carrots typically do not transplant very well, recommended to be directly sown.
- Sow 10-12 seeds every 10 cm; thinning seedlings: 2-5 cm apart
- OR direct Sow 2 to 4 weeks before the last spring frost until midsummer or 90 days before the first fall frost.
- Planting Depth: 1 cm
- Row Spacing: 45-60 cm
- Germinates in 7-21 days; Optimal Soil Temperature: 22-28°C
- Keep soil moist so it doesn't crust before the seedlings emerge.
- Harvest: anytime after they reach the desired size. Sow every 3 weeks for a continuous supply.
- Storage: cover unwashed carrots with sand and keep them in a dark, cool, well-ventilated area for up to 6 months.
- Seed Count: 1/2 gr