Broccoli - Sorrento (Brassica rapa) Sorrento Broccoli Raab Non GMO & Organic Vegetable
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Broccoli - Sorrento Raab (Brassica rapa) Sorrento Broccoli Raab Non GMO & Organic Vegetable
This is the quickest broccoli raab to mature. Sorrento has some of the largest, most uniform green florets in the early category, averaging 3–4 inches across. It grows upright to 30 inches.
A choice pick for the early gardener and specialty market grower. Harvest the tender leaves, stems, and unopened flower buds; they have a hearty yet mild broccoli flavor.
Broccoli is a rich source of vitamins C, K, and B-complex, along with a treasure trove of minerals. Although one cup of milk has more calcium than a cup of broccoli, the human body absorbs the calcium from broccoli more effectively than from milk. From your body's perspective, broccoli is said to be richer in calcium than milk!
- Broccoli performs best in fertile, well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0
- Broccoli is a cool-season crop that does not tolerate extreme heat
- Rough heads or leaves in the head are usually from heat stress
- Keep beds evenly moist and/or use shade cloth to maintain quality during heat waves
- Excess nitrogen or a boron deficiency can cause hollow stem
- In colder climates covering with Reemay or Frost Blanket will protect plants from frost damage
- Sprouting broccoli is very hardy, surviving down to 10°F — before flower buds open, cut the central head at a 45° angle; side shoots will form from the axillary buds
- Direct seed recommended for this variety from April after risk of frost has passed
- Cover with loose soil or sifted compost
- Not recommended for fall plantings
- Harvest when heads are tight and dense
- Cut side-shoots regularly to encourage production
- Store at 36°F and 100% relative humidity
- Days to maturity are calculated from date of transplanting; add 25-35 days if direct seeding.
- Seed Count: 1 gr