Bean - Yard Long Red Noodle ((Vigna unguiculata ssp. sesquipedalis) Chinese Long Beans Red Noodle Long Heirloom Vegetable
Height 16-20 in long beans
Set up your trellis before you sow or plant your Red Noodle seeds...or consider planting near a fence or structure as this variety needs support.
Yard Long Chinese Red Noodle beans are a variant of the cow pea; it is stringless, and when harvested at the proper time, they are tender and have an earthy almost asparagus flavour. Can be used whole or chopped, eaten raw or cooked in stir fries and hot dishes, and also great for pickling!
- full sun
- well-draining soil; poor soils that tend to be on the drier side are good for this bean variety. If your soil is not well draining, consider raised beds.
- Direct sow the seeds 3/4 in deep, 6 in apart. Cover and water in well.
- Germinates in 5-8 days; keep soil evenly moist until germination
- As the beans weave the young vines onto your trellis or structure Chinese red noodle beans tend to be more resistant to insect pests than other beans, but you may still encounter some damage. If bean beetles are a menace, take measures to get rid of them. Hand-picking is one option, if the infestation is a light one. Another idea is to cover the beans and their trellis completely with insect netting before the seeds even germinate, only removing the netting long enough to harvest the beans before covering again.
- Note: ants love the flowers.The beans secrete a nectar that attracts ants that help protect the plant from pests that may damage the bean plants so leave them be.Harvesting: excellent producers. Beans are easy to pick; pick while they’re young and tender
- Yard Long Chinese Red Noodle beans don’t ripen all at the same time. A daily harvest is typical. Beans grow in pairs, and both may not ripen at the same time; simply pick the ripe beans and leave the others to mature for future harvesting.
- Store fresh beans in the refrigerator for a few days in a plastic container or bag with a paper towel in to absorb any moisture.
- Seed Count: 10