Artichoke - Green Globe (Cynara cardunculus var. scolymus) Globe Artichoke Open Pollinated Non GMO Vegetable
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Artichoke (Cynara cardunculus var. scolymus) Globe Artichoke Open Pollinated Non GMO Vegetable
Perennial: Short lived
Height: 3 ft
Excellent ornamental and architectural plant for any garden! Foliage is very showy. Artichokes are a tender perennial that prefer mild winters and cool summers; the flower buds of the artichoke plant is the edible parts that are harvested. Artichokes are reported to contain the highest level of antioxidants of all vegetables.
Gorgeous silvery grey green and showy foliage...fantastic architectural and ornamental plant with stunning thistle like flowers, even if you don't like to eat them!
- Prefers full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soils with a pH of 6.5-7.5 provide optimum growth
- Direct Sowing is not recommended
- Start indoors in February, sow 3-5 seeds per 4 inch pot; thin out weak seedlings and keep the strongest plant
- Transplant after all risk of frost has passed and when the seedlings can still receive 10-12 days of temperatures under 50°F to induce budding
- Common insects: Aphids; spray with water to remove pests
- Common diseases: Crown rot, powdery mildew, mold - avoid overhead irrigation and water-logged soil
- Before a hard frost, cut plants to 8-10 inches above ground and mulch with clean straw to keep the crown from freezing; crown death may occur at 25°F or lower
How to harvest artichokes:
- Cut the buds off before they start to open
- Smaller artichokes are the most tender
- Store at 36°F and 95% relative humidity
- attracts many beneficial pollinators
- excellent feature plant and highly architectural structure and foliage
- Seed count: 15