Amaranth - Callaloo (Amaranthus viridis) Organic Jamaican Green Amaranth Callaloo NonGMO Heirloom Grain
Amaranth - Callaloo (
Amaranthus viridis) Organic Jamaican Green Amaranth Callaloo NonGMO Heirloom Grain
Height 2 to 4 ft
Callaloo is extremely popular in Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and Haiti. It is a fast growing tall green leafy vegetable, also known as amaranth, and one that also produces grain. Callaloo leaves have a slightly bitter flavour with a nutty undertone that is very similar to spinach, and the grains can be toasted or boiled.
You can harvest the young tender leaves or the mature leaves/stems for cooking.
It's an incredibly nutritious green that can also be juiced and added to your favourite green juice recipe. Callaloo has tons of vitamin A, which helps to keep your hair moisturized. It also helps to renew skin and hair so that you can keep that healthy glow and shine. The flower buds and seeds can also be eaten. Callaloo also has a significant amount of vitamin C, which helps to maintain collagen in your skin and hair, and iron, which can help to prevent hair loss.
- Full Sun
- Well draining soil
- Regardless of how you plant, seeds should be sown on the surface of finely worked soil or moist high-quality potting soil. Then, barely cover (1/4 in) the seeds with finely sifted soil. Mist the seeds in place. Do not use a strong jet of water as this can displace seeds or wash them away.
- Direct sowing: late spring.
- OR start seeds indoors starter pots; place the amaranth seeds on top of moist high-quality seed starting soil and cover with 1/4 in of finely sifted soil. Once the seedlings have germinated and have the first set of true leaves be sure to fertilize regularly with an organic liquid fertilizer. Thin amaranth plants to at least 12 in apart and transplant outdoors when the seedlings reach 10 to 12 inches tall and after all risk of frost has passed.
- Germinates in 4-10 days and matures in 40 -60 days.
- Spacing: 18 to 24 in apart.
- Collect seed heads as they begin to dry on the plant and store in closed paper bags to finish drying. Save in cool dry place.
- Seed Count: 30