Coleus - Wizard Velvet Red (Solenostemon scutellarioides) Non GMO Organic - Flower
Coleus 'Wizard Velvet Red' is a vibrant and eye-catching annual foliage plant, scientifically known as Solenostemon scutellarioides 'Wizard Velvet Red.' This particular Coleus variety is celebrated for its rich, velvety red leaves, making it a striking addition to gardens, borders, containers, and as an accent plant. The 'Wizard Velvet Red' Coleus is valued for its ornamental foliage, rather than its flowers, and it provides a reliable pop of color throughout the growing season. Its lush leaves and intriguing color make it a popular choice for adding a touch of elegance to outdoor and indoor spaces. Coleus 'Wizard Velvet Red,' with its velvety red leaves, is a fantastic choice for adding bold and lush foliage to your garden or indoor spaces. By following these instructions, you can successfully grow this annual foliage plant and enjoy its vibrant and colorful display throughout the growing season.
- Sunlight: Coleus 'Wizard Velvet Red' thrives in partial shade to full shade, making it an excellent choice for areas with limited direct sunlight.
- Well-drained soil: Ensure the soil is well-draining and fertile. Coleus prefers rich, loamy soil with good aeration.
- Spring or early summer: Plant Coleus 'Wizard Velvet Red' in the spring after the last frost has passed or when the weather is warm.
- Start with seeds or cuttings:** You can grow 'Wizard Velvet Red' Coleus from seeds or purchase young plants from a nursery. If planting seeds, sow them in well-drained soil, keeping them slightly covered and maintaining a consistent temperature of around 70°F (21°C).
- Spacing: Space the young plants or seeds according to the specific variety's recommendations, typically around 12-18 inches apart to allow for their mature size.
- Consistent moisture: Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged. Coleus prefers even moisture levels and can be sensitive to drought.
- Balanced fertilizer: Apply a balanced, all-purpose fertilizer during the growing season to provide essential nutrients. Follow the product's instructions for proper application.
- Pinch for bushiness: To encourage a bushy, compact growth habit, pinch back the tips of the Coleus 'Wizard Velvet Red' when the plant is young, and repeat as needed.
- Generally pest and disease-resistant: Coleus 'Wizard Velvet Red' is not highly susceptible to pests or diseases. However, watch for common garden pests like aphids and mealybugs.
- Coleus 'Wizard Velvet Red' is relatively low-maintenance once established. Regular pruning and maintaining consistent moisture are the main care considerations.
- Seed count: 10