Zinnia – Benary's Giant Purple (Zinnia elegans) Dahlia Like Blooms Violet Purple Zinnias Cutting Flower
Height: 40 to 50 in
‘Benary's Giant Purple’ features impressive and vibrant (4 to 6 in) double blooms of bold violet purple dahlia-like flowers. Blooms first begin as a bold violet purple and over time the outer petals fade to a subdued pale coloured lavender for a wonderfully soft effect. Plants grow to have long, strong stems and offer great disease resistance. Tolerates drought but performs better when watered consistently.
- Full sun.
- If you want to try starting some indoors in coir pots with well draining soil about 6 to 8 weeks before planting out ensure that a soil temperature of 21 to 26°C (70 to 80°F) is maintained.
- Seeds should germinate in 5 to 24 days.
- Best to just cover Zinnia seeds lightly (1/16 to 1/4in)
- Final spacing: 2.5 ft between plants.
- Pinch back when seedlings reach about 6 to 8in in height to encourage bushy growth, and deadhead regularly for a midsummer to frost showIdeal cutting flower as it has a very long vase life.
- Attracts honey, bumble and solitary bees
- Matures in 9 to 12 weeks
- Harvest: Grab the stem about 8 in. below the flower and gently shake. If the stem is droopy or bends much at all, it is not quite ready; if the stem is stiff and remains upright, it is ready to harvest. Cut flowers: If flower preservative is added to the water, zinnias should last 7 to 10 days in the vase.
- Seed Count: 10