Summer Savory - (Satureja hortensis) Non GMO & Organic Mediterranean Heirloom Aromatic Herb
Savory - Summer Savory (Satureja hortensis) Non GMO & Organic Mediterranean Heirloom Aromatic Herb
Height 12-18 in
Savory is a member of the mint family; a small, green plant used to add flavor ( hot and peppery) to food. This aromatic herb has two main varietals used in cooking: winter savory and summer savory. Both are native to the sunny slopes of the Mediterranean region. Also known as Ajedrea de Jardín, Bean Herb, Bohnenkraut, Calamintha hortensis, Herbe de Saint Julien, Poivrette, Sarriette Commune, Sarriette d'Été, Sarriette des Jardins, Satureja hortensis, Savory
This is a Summer savory variety: is a sweet and spicy smelling herb, lighter in flavor than winter savory. Summer savory is is a delicate plant with small, light green leaves. It is one of the most popular herbs along the Atlantic coast of Canada, and used in traditional dishes and holiday cooking.
Medicinal Uses: summer savory is used for coughs, sore throat, and intestinal disorders including cramps, indigestion, gas, diarrhea, nausea, and loss of appetite. People with diabetes take it to relieve frequent thirst. It is also used as a tonic and as an aphrodisiac to increase sex drive
- Sow seeds on top of the growing medium, gently pressing them into place, as light is required for germination.
- Mist to moisten and keep moist until germination.
- Transplant to individual containers when seedlings have 4 true leaves.
- Transplant outside after the last frost, spacing 8" apart.
- Germinates in 10-15 days
- Harvest when plants are 6-8 in high
- Will self seed
- This herb attracts honeybees, and repels cabbage moths. Planting it near beans and onions will improve the flavour of both.
- Seed Count: 1/4 gr