Squash - Winter - Hubbard Baby Green (Cucurbita maxima) Non GMO - Organic
Hubbard Baby Green Winter Squash Seeds. 90 to 100 Days. Heirloom, Open Pollinated. Non-GMO. Winter Squash type. Cucurbita maxima. The Baby Green Hubbard is a scaled down version of the green hubbard
Days To maturity 90-100 Days
The Baby Green Hubbard produces fruits that weigh from 5 to 7 lbs, while the Green Hubbards weigh in from 10 to 15 lbs. The Baby Green Hubbard is tear shaped with a dark green husk and sweet yellow flesh, perfect for baking or steaming. Direct sow in the spring and grow in full sun. Annual. The large, green fruits grow on sprawling vines that can be harvested in late summer and fall. The interior meat is a golden colour and delicious to eat when cooked, with a mildly sweet flavour.
- Full Sun
- Depth 3/4-1" / Groups of 18-24mm
- 4-6 row spacing 5-6'
- 150-180cm days to maturity
- Choose a sunny location and a fertile, well-drained soil.
- Improve sandy or clay soils with compost.
- Direct-sow seeds into the garden after frost danger in spring, or start seed four weeks before outdoor planting to gain young transplants for earliest yields.
CARE: Male and female flowers grow on the same plant. To ensure an early fruit set, take a male flower (with a powdery yellow center) and rub on as many female flowers (with a shiny center) as possible.
- Growing through black plastic encourages highest yields.
- HARVEST: Use a sharp knife to cut the mature fruit from the vine, ensuring that you leave at least 4" of stem attached as this helps preserve the fruit for long storage.
- Seed count 20