Onion - Red Beard Bunching (Allium fisulosum) Green Bunching Onions Heirloom Non GMO Vegetable
Onion -Red Beard Bunching (Allium fisulosum) Green Bunching Onions Heirloom Non GMO Vegetable
Height 27 in
Red Beard is a cool season Asian heirloom specialty bunching onion that is easy to grow and is an excellent choice for home gardeners. Red Beard has a red stalk and has a mild flavor with tender leaves. Bunching onions may be harvested at any stage, from microgreen to full maturity. Use in sukiyaki, stir-fry, salad, soup, and as a garnish. Can be boiled and added to miso dressing.
Red Beard is also known as chin choong, Chinese green onion, choong, cong, da cong, dawn bawang, feng cong, green bunching onion, hanh la, hari piyaz, hark korm, hom ton, Japanese bunching onion, me negi, nebuka, negi, quing cong, runu kola, scallion, sibuyas na mura, spring onion, tai tsung, tsung fa, xiao cong.
Matures in 40-50 days. At maturity, plants can reach 27" tall with the red stalk about 12" long.
Prepare fertile, well-drained soil. Sow seeds in a sunny location in late spring after danger of all frost is passed and when soil temperatures are consistently above 50° or fall. Cold weather deepens the red color. Mulch if hard frost expected.Keep soil moist and fertilize as needed. Longer white stems can be achieved by mounding earth up over the stems to blanch them. Bunching onions may be harvested at any stage, from microgreen to full maturity. Use in sukiyaki, stir-fry, salad, soup, and as a garnish. Can be boiled and added to miso dressing.
- Full sun
- Sandy loose well draining soil.
- Drought tolerant, but prefers regular watering.
- Propagation: division in spring, comes true from seed. Sow seeds one to two inches apart and only a quarter of an inch or 1 cm deep 8 weeks before last frost. Water - scallions require routine watering to successfully grow. Keep the soil evenly moist as your seeds
- Germinate @ 20 C.
- Transplant when all danger of frost has passed 10 cm apart.
- Attracts bees and butterflies if left to flower; repels deer, rodents and other garden pests.
- Seed count: 1/4 gr