Mint - Peppermint – ((Mentha piperita) Organic Peppermint Pollinator Attractant Herb
Height: 1 to 2 ft
Peppermint is a cross between watermint and spearmint, and is indigenous to Europe and the Middle East. Peppermint plants are now widespread and cultivated in many regions of the world, and is occasionally found in the wild with its parent species.
The leaves are typically used fresh as a culinary herb, and the flowers are dried and can be used to flavour candy, desserts, beverages, salads etcetera. Peppermint essential oil is also widely used as a flavouring and in soap and candle making. The plant is a hybrid between watermint (Mentha aquatica) and spearmin
Peppermint is promoted for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), other digestive problems, the common cold, sinus infections, headaches, and other conditions. Peppermint oil is promoted for topical use (applied to the skin) for problems like headache, muscle aches, joint pain, and itching.
Peppermint is known for its ability to repel flies, fleas, and spiders in the garden.
Mint is frost tolerant; it usually dies back in the winter and comes back in spring.
Note: mint tends to take over, as a result, many gardeners plant mint in a small pot and then plant that pot in the ground or inside a larger container.
- Sun increases potency of its oils/ tolerates part shade
- Soil - requires damp or even wet soil to thrive. Plant it in drip-irrigated areas, along the edges of ponds, or in low-lying, boggy areas in your garden. Short dry periods won't kill peppermint but might reduce its growth and flower production.
- Start seeds indoors anytime, surface sow and press to create contact with soil
- OR direct sow after all risk of spring frost has passed. Some gardeners plant peppermint seeds a few weeks before the first fall frost for a jump on the following growing season; first year flowering
- Germination: 7 to 20 days
- Direct sow and transplant spacing: 18 to 24 in apart
- Peppermint tea can be drank throughout the day. Peppermint tea is naturally caffeine-free, which means that it will not keep a person awake at night.
- Attracts bees and butterflies
- Seed Count: 1/8 gr