Globe Thistle - Echinops ( Echinops bannaticus E. ritro) Glandular Globethistle Blue Globe Flower
Perennial Height 90 cm or 36 in
Incredibly ornamental globe thistle originating from Siberia and Central Europe. An amazing architectural plant with bright blue dense spherical heads and grayish white fuzzy spiny foliage (small the greek word echinos 'hedgehog')
Excellent for a wild garden, large border or on its own - a carefree summer bloomer that makes great cut and dried flowers. Will self seed if heads are not removed.
- Very hardy plant.
- Season: mid-summer to fall
- Direct seed after all risk of frost has passed and cover seeds lightly
- OR start indoors 8 weeks before the last frost. Cover seeds lightly. Transplant seedlings outdoors when they are strong enough to handle and all risk of frost has passed.
- Spacing: 50 cm or 19.7 inch apart.
- Soil should be well draining ( will tolerate poor soil) and in a full sun to part shade location.
- Seed Count: 10