Endive - Full Heart Batavian - ( Cichorium endivia) Endive Full Heart Batavian Non GMO & Organic Heirloom Herb Vegetable
Endive is a leaf vegetable belonging to the daisy family. Can be eaten raw or cooked. This lettuce like plant is a full leafy green and is ideal for late crops, which can be harvested into the winter in warmer climates, as it is very cold hardy. This variety has a sharper flavor and is usually more crisp and bitter than typical lettuce; it forms a delicious mild flavoured heart.
- Requires rich, moisture-retentive soil with plenty of compost dug in.
- Prefers full sun to part shade.
- Frost tolerant variety.
- Feeding not usually required.
- Single Plants: spacing: 9" (25cm) each way (minimum)
- Rows: 18 to 24 in apart prevents plants from going to seed too quickly
- Sow directly into soil in late spring.
- Can blanch a few plants at a time when they are grown by excluding light from them for a few days. This can make them less bitter.
- Harvest as required by cutting off at base; will sometimes resprout.
- Seed Count: 1 gr