Eggplant - White Casper (Solanum melongena) Non GMO Casper White Eggplant Organic Heirloom Vegetable
Height 25 cm
This heirloom variety originated from France, and grows on compact plants, making these the perfect variety for containers and small space gardens! Plants produce 5 to 7 in long white skinned fruits which, with their oval shape and especially their white colour, are reminiscent of the famous ghost 'Casper', hence the name.
Casper flesh is tender; it has a succulent taste, is mild and aromatic with a little something of a mushroom taste, and is delicious when added into soups, stews and roasts or simply fried. This eggplant variety can grow almost anywhere. These fruits grow abundantly, and reach maturity early. It will grow just as well in a container on your balcony as in the soil in your garden.
- Full Sun
- Rich and well-draining soil
- Direct sow 5 or 6 seeds per hill about 4 in(10 cm.) apart and 1 in (2.5 cm.) deep. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. When seedlings are about 6 in (15 cm.) high, thin out the weakest leaving three plants per hill.
- Plant spacing : 50 cm
Row spacing : 75 cm
- OR if your season is short: start your seeds indoors about 6 weeks before the last frost. Plant seeds about 4 in deep and harden off the seedlings before transplanting outdoors, after all risk of frost has passed; ensure seedlings do not endure evening temps below 10 C.
- Germination : 7 to 10 days
- Allow plenty of spacing.
- Matures in 65 days.
- Care and other considerations : Staking can help to avoid that the branches break from the weight of the fruits.
- Seed Count: 5