Aster – Blue King Size (Callistephus chinensus) Blue Flowers Summer Asters Flower
Height: 1 -3 ft
Stunningly beautiful blue China Aster with 3 in peony like blooms! Elegant and breathtaking variety is a cross between a peony and a mum. This is an easy to grow variety; unlike other aster varieties, this particular species is not a perennial, but an annual. Each flower grows on a separate stem making these exceptional cut flowers; plants produce loads of summer blooming flowers and is a fantastic choice for borders, and that vintage cottage garden look
A complete range of China asters was developed from one highly variable species called Aster and is available as singles, semi-doubles, and doubles as well as tall, medium, and dwarf varieties. Bloom time is from late summer into fall, when it fills gardens and containers with cheerful flowers in vibrant tones.
- Prefers full sun (can tolerate part shade but full sun recommended)
- moist well draining soil
- Great cutting flower or striking in a cottage garden or at the back of a border
- Sow indoors 8-10 weeks before all risk of frost has passed in small pots with seed starting peat free mix. Provide a bright light and a soil temperature of 10-15°C (65-70°F)
- Harden off and transplant to garden when seeds are strong enough to handle and all risk of frost has passed.
- OR direct sow seeds outdoors after the last frost date. Allow for 6 to 8 inches apart. Just cover the seeds lightly and water in
- Days to maturity: 110 to 120 days
- Attracts butterflies
- Harvesting Seeds: each tiny seed is attached to a tuft of fine, fluffy down that makes seeds easy to harvest. Snip off the seed heads after the down dries out and turns off-white, then simply pull off the seeds by hand and spread them on a baking sheet to dry out for one or two days. Keep in a dark cool place until you want to start the growing process again.
- Seed Count: 30 seeds