Garlic - Elephant Garlic ( Allium sativum) Elephant Garlic Non GMO & Organic Heirloom Vegetable
Bumbleseeds is proud to offer our newest products: Early Harvest Spring Garlic or Young Garlic.
We offer two varieties: Elephant Garlic & Castano Garlic
Early Harvest Elephant Garlic – Harvest in 2-3 months
This variety is not actually a garlic by genetics, it is more or less, a leek. This variety is a perennial plant belonging to the species ampeloprasum - the same species as leeks; garlic is from the species sativum.
Our Elephant Garlic is an early harvest variety and hardier than our Castano garlic; Elephant Garlic requires a slightly longer period to harvest and will be ready to harvest in approximately 2 to 3 months.
Elephant garlic has a tall, solid, flowering stalk with broad, flat leaves; it got the name ‘Elephant Garlic’ because it resembles garlic but it is bigger…much bigger! Elephant garlic has a mild garlic onion flavor and is much sweeter and the flavor is milder than garlic and much more palatable to some people –even when used raw in salads. It is also fantastic for roasting!
- Our Elephant Garlic averages five very large cloves per head and each head is roughly 4 inches across.
- Spring planted garlic, depending on when it gets in the ground and when it is harvested, could be a bit smaller and not fully ‘cloved’ out to the maximum however, this is still garlic!
- Same taste and spring planting yields younger healthier leaves which allows you to cook with the entire plant rather than just the bulbs.
- Spring planted elephant garlic can be ready to harvest in 90 days however it will most likely still be a single large bulb
- Break each bulb into individual cloves. 1 clove of garlic = 1 seed.
- Plant your seeds in the ground roughly 4-6 inches apart (this will give the garlic some room to grow) in Spring or Fall.
- The seed will go in the ground with roughly the same amount of dirt on top of it as the size of the clove. The hole will be about twice the size of the garlic itself.
- Elephant does not need to be 2 times the size, just ensure a healthy amount of soil over top of the seed.
- Sprouting and growth in the next week or two.
Sold per bulb